You can help keep the majestic Himalayas clean and pristine, even while hiking across its great ascents. Here are some great ideas.
Use water judiciously!
· Do not litter lakes and rivers
· Opt for a bucket bath over a shower
· Make use of an earth toilet, not a flush toilet
Wood doesn’t grow on trees!
· Avoid collecting and burning wood from the trees or the ground
· Encourage afforestation
Don’t make waste!
· Avoid plastic bottled water, opt for a metal flask
· Carry away everything that you bring in. Stuff it in your pockets or backpack and carry home
· Stop bad practices where you see them
· Plan disposal solutions carefully in advance
· Leave a clean camp site every time you pack up
Respect flora and fauna
· Never uproot plants
· Do not feed animals
· Do not venture too close to animals
· Avoid flash photography, it disturbs them
· Keep distance from nesting/breeding grounds
· Camp only in designated camping ground away from the lakes
· Opt for home stays. They are economical, provide livelihood to the local communities and help save resources
We are always open to innovative solutions for green hiking. Share your stories, images, videos, tips for green living and more at: firstname.lastname@example.org